Past event: This event has already taken place.
This is the first event in our series on Rising to the Challenge: What will it take to decarbonise transport?
It will explore the changes needed to the wider economy and will discuss the need for a whole-systems approach to transport decarbonisation that reflects the shift to digital connectivity, and the integration of transport with land-use planning, energy and green finance.
Key webinar themes:
- How can we overcome the silos of government to ensure that change can be driven across all areas of policy making?
- How can private investment be harnessed to drive investment in green transport and energy infrastructure?
- Achieving net zero will require a major transformation of the UK economy. What changes will be required to support that transformation?
Professor Peter Jones, Professor of Transport and Sustainable Development, UCL
The Rt Hon. Lord Deben, Chair, Committee for Climate Change
Members of the Greener Transport Council
- Professor Glenn Lyons, Mott MacDonald Professor of Future Mobility, UWE
- Professor Greg Marsden, Professor of Transport Governance, University of Leeds ITS
- Paul Campion, Chief Executive, TRL
- Claire Haigh, Chief Executive, Greener Transport Solutions
- Victoria Hills, Chief Executive, Royal Town Planning Institute
- Paul Hirst, Head of the Transport Sector Group, Addleshaw Goddard
- Professor Alan McKinnon, Professor of Logistics, Kuehne Logistics University, Hamburg
- Professor John Whitelegg, Senior Fellow, Foundation for Integrated Transport
- David Brown, Chief Executive, Go-Ahead
- Jonny Mood, Director of VFM, National Audit Office
- Lauren Pamma, Programme Director, Green Finance Institute
About the series
Transport is the fastest growing source of global greenhouse gas emissions and the biggest emitting sector of the UK economy. As hosts of the COP26 UN climate summit in November the UK will need a credible plan for decarbonising transport. Our thinking needs to change if we are to rise to the scale of the challenge.
Join us at our webinar series which will consult widely on the five key themes that emerged in the recent publication Rising to the Challenge: Achieving net zero will require new thinking, creative solutions and systemic change.
- The decarbonisation of transport will involve changes to the wider economy.
- Technical solutions will be insufficient, we also need behaviour change.
- Fares and taxes should encourage people to make lower carbon travel choices.
- We must ensure a fair and just transition to net zero.
- Greater devolution will be a key driver of decarbonisation.
Hosted by Greener Transport Solutions, Addleshaw Goodard, Transport Times, Foundation for Integrated Transport & The Transport Knowledge Hub, the events will bring together leading academics, politicians, business leaders, consumer groups and think tanks to discuss what is needed to decarbonise transport. Experts will discuss and respond to questions from the Greener Transport Council.
The series will culminate in the publication of ‘A Manifesto for Decarbonising Transport’ to be published in the Autumn 2021.
Processing of data